Sunday, February 12, 2012

Calm

This weekend wasn't too eventful. Perhaps the pinnacle was going to the popular Pho place down the street.



Half of the group decided to travel up to Cairns for a two-thirds day on the reef for an absurdly high price. I think the cost of their trip was at least $200 more than my trip up pre-IQP and their cruise was leaving 3 hours later than mine giving them less time on the reef. But I'm sure they had fun. Actually I know they did. It's the freaking GBR.



The rest of us stayed in Melbourne and had a pretty quiet weekend. It was quite a nice change of pace for weekends. Friday night I made meatloaf and it turned out pretty good, but it reminds me that either I'm too nice, or my roommate is a huge mooch. Probably a little bit of both, though I lean towards the latter. So basically I made a meatloaf and we were splitting it three ways and two of us ate a little over half so it was looking like I would have a little leftover for a snack/half a meal. But the third person, my roommate, was napping when the food finished, so when he did get around to eating his share, he just took the remaining half… and ate all of it… That and he's been mooching everyone's food for all term long. Maybe it'll come up again. Who knows? I don't really like unnecessary confrontation or conflict, but if it gets to a point where it needs to be discussed, I will lay down the law.



So Friday night I just relaxed and watched Akira. In retrospect, that's really all I did this weekend. Sat on my ass and watched anime, played Skyrim, or read Cell. Real cool Dave, real cool. Well that's not entirely true. On Saturday I took a bunch of people on my plan to see Melbourne Museum and eat Pho. Oh man, DAT PHO. So good. So much closer to Vietnam. And it was normal pho sized for $9.50 which is a steal in Australia. Sadly, I again forgot to take a picture even though I went in with the intention of taking a picture of the pho before I ate it. I was just too excited to eat it.



Melbourne Museum was also pretty cool. It was a general science museum that was free with our student IDs, pretty awesome. They had exhibits on the forest, the brain, and dinosaurs and stuff. It ate up a good 2-3 hours of our afternoon for free so I'm not complaining.
The rest of the weekend was spent doing one of my three activities, all on my butt, but I watched the entire first season of Avatar: the Last Airbender. It's quite entertaining and given my current rate. I'll probably finish at least season 2, if not the entire series, before the end of the week. On a similar note, I've taken it upon myself to watch all the Pokémon movies before I leave. And Word spellchecked Pokemon into Pokémon, awesome. Again, real cool Dave. Reeeaaaalll cool. But that's what I get for going to a small tech school. I was fighting with my inner-nerd for 1.5 years and now this is what I've become. I'm happier, but I'm much nerdier. But so far I've watched 4 of the thirteen. All of these were taken from the above-mentioned roommate's external hard drive. He's a great person, just when it comes to food/finances he's a bit… problematic.



Yeah, pretty quiet weekend. It's also kind of scary to note that we're more than halfway done with our time here in Australia. It's gone by quickly, but slowly at the same time. I think I'm definitely looking forward to going home, but at the same time I don't really want to leave. But really I do kind of want to leave… This whole trip is definitely an experience that I will never forget, but I think if I sit down and reflect, I have learned and grown a good deal while here.
Melancholy note to end on, but whatevs.



P-P-PEACE



I don't know why I end each post with that, but I do.

No comments: