Sunday, December 28, 2008

Yet Another College Creative Prompt

Although it may appear to the contrary, we do know that people have a life beyond what they do to get into college. Tell us about an experience you have had outside of your formal classroom and extracurricular activities that was just plain fun and why.

 

            I awoke from my car-ride slumber to see the bright blue sky looming overhead. The two-hour car ride to Ogunquit, Maine was finally over. The anticipation of the fun-filled day ahead of me manifested itself as I stepped out of the car, stretched my limbs and let out a gleeful shout. I grabbed my stuff out of the trunk as the other three other cars in our group pulled into the parking lot. I could see the joy in all of their eyes as they piled against the windows to look at the stunning blue sky and the crowded shoreline.

            I smiled and waved at my friends as the minivans drove by, but then I kicked my flip-flops off, ripped my T-shirt off, and ran towards the beach, sprinting top speed, screaming the whole time. To my dismay, the notorious stories of the Ogunquit beach’s icy waters had slipped my mind, and as I took my first steps into the water, the shock hit me hard and I lost my breath and froze in place.

Unfortunately, in my excitement, I did not hear or see my friend Chris running directly behind me the whole way. As I splashed into the frigid water and stopped suddenly from shock, Chris was unable to stop himself in time and ran straight into me knocking me face-first into the freezing liquid beneath forcing out another scream. Chris behind me laughingly apologized and helped me to my feet and I walked as quickly as my frozen feet would carry me back to dry land. I quickly took out my towel and wiped the liquid nitrogen off my body and put my T-shirt back on as I attempted to warm up.

The whole group had watched my embarrassing, unintentional ice water dive from the parking lot. So as I walked back towards them to pick a meeting space on the beach, everyone was laughing at my clumsy antics. But I knew everyone was laughing in good fun and I could not help but laugh along with them as I told them what had happened. Of course my interpretation was sure to include my highly dramatized thought process and whatever else I felt made the story funnier.

Though my plunge into the water was painful, I felt that my sacrifice had been penguin-like. Just as penguins hit their companions into the ocean to test for potential danger, I was the scapegoat to see if the waters were safe. Since I had come back out alive, the waters were deemed predator-free. As people inched towards the water for the rest of the day, they did not make the same mistake I did, and they slowly waded their way deeper into the water.

As the day progressed, I spent more time sun-bathing on the beach with my friends as we dug holes and built sand castles. I was reluctant to head into the water as my first experience was slightly scarring, but the gigantic waves, the excruciating heat, and above all the urgings of my friends compelled me towards the scary sea. Nearing the water, my heart began racing as I thought of the hypothermic conditions. But as I started riding the waves with my friends, the various competitions we created on the spot blocked most nerve endings in my extremities. With my friends around it was almost impossible to remember my drastic first entry.

Although my to accidental water test was the most exciting event, the other memories I hold from that beach are not lost. Every moment I spent on that beach will always hold a special place in my memory because I went with my church youth group. We are a close-knit group, and everything we do together is always fun. Whether it be going to the beach or just mindlessly watching television, being around the people that I love trumps everything.

2 comments:

Blair said...

hahahahaha "let out a gleeful shout".. dave, i cant seem to remember the last time you "gleefully shouted" :p but nice essay!

liz said...

i really liked this!