Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Checking In

So now everyone has arrived on site in Australia. It’s all really exciting and fun, but I’ve already been in Melbourne for 10 days and I’m actually severely regretting coming early. I underestimated the cost of living here by a ton and now I’m down in the dumps and have to somehow manage to still have fun while being down basically 2 weeks financially than everyone else who just arrived on site yesterday.

Maybe I shouldn’t talk about financial issues to everyone, but meh. Well everyone has arrived and there are a lot of us. 15 people form a large group and I don’t know how the groups are going to break up into smaller circles. I can kind of see how it’s going to function, but it’s really far too early to see what social circles are going to form. Also I have no idea if any of the people here are aware that I have a blog and I don’t know how everyone would react to my thoughts that the rest of the world is seeing. I think it’d be interesting to know if anyone here in Australia reads these… I know some other people are writing stuff, but I’m also fairly certain that they aren’t publishing them on the World Wide Web for the world to see. I also probably need to butt my way into one of the groups because currently I’m sitting alone in the apartment and people are out doing things, library, maybe some at the beach? I don’t really know, but I’m already kind of tired of dealing with people for a bit. This is probably the first alone time I’ve had since flying out where people aren’t sleeping five feet away from me. Why are social workings so difficult? I also feel like I need to break up this large paragraph into smaller ones but I have no idea where to do it. But I guess since I just said that I might as well just

Start a new paragraph randomly. But then this is just a completely random thought so I’ll have to break again to keep the flow of ideas similar within the paragraph.

So I finally got some laundry powder, there was like a 2 kg box that was cheaper than everything else. The only downside is that I thought it would come with a cup measure in it, but I don’t think it does. Just a small set back because the apartment-hotel comes with cup measures so I can measure out the required amount of powder. I basically spent the morning alone while everyone else is still excited to be in Australia to take care of some various odds and ends. Went to the grocery store and picked up oil and salt for the kitchen, I sorely hope we make it to the market to pick up groceries because I sorely need to stop eating out every meal and walking through the grocery store, the amount of food you can buy at the store with the amount you pay at a restaurant is astounding. And there I go again about the finances.

I bought a prepaid phone for use here Down Under and it’s a “dumb” phone pretty similar to my phone in the states except that the buttons are much harder to press and the layout is different. It’s an experience trying to relearn how to use the phone. It’s particularly annoying because the delete button on my US phone is nothing on this phone and the actual delete key shares a button with the end call with up as delete and down as end call. I haven’t been texting too much but I’ve already accidentally deleted whole texts trying to delete a mistake. Also the change t9 option is the space button on my US phone, it’s all discombobulated.

Well we’re about to organize some type of group outing so I’ll leave this here and find a time to upload it cuz we only get freaking 25 mb/week here at the apartment. It’s ridiculous.

No comments: