Wednesday, January 11, 2012

First Day of Work

Being in an office setting is definitely weird, especially for project work. It’s like we have the whole workday to work and research things for our project, but there isn’t really all that much to do yet as the main supervisor isn’t even in today. Also unfortunately, my laptop is unable to connect to their internet because it’s the government and all they have some type of server set up and I’m working on a remote desktop computer for the next 2 months. It’s running on XP and it’s pretty slow seeing as everything has to be remotely accessed. Oh well.

Another thing is that the work day is pretty damn long. There’s only so much I can do during the workday at least today being the first day. I’m also pretty damn bad, already ‘slacking’ on the first day and writing this. But really there’s nothing I can do. I’ve been reading all morning and I’m “settling in” so to speak.

Other random things that I’ve been thinking about: I still need to butt my way more securely into one of the groups of people. I’m fine chilling by myself and all but I think it’d be nice to foster new friendships and do things in a larger group. Completely unrelated, we need to learn how to shop better. For whatever reason we only decided to buy half a kilo of ground beef which was the cheapest thing at the market at $4 a kilo, but half a kilo is almost nothing. I used all of it in one cooking session and now we have no meat left in our apartment. A lot of starch and other things, but we probably need to pick up some cold cuts or something for sandwiches other than peanut butter and vegemite, which has quite an interesting flavor. I tried a little this morning but after tasting it I decided against covering the whole slice with it and just opted for the more familiar peanut butter.

Excuse the randomness of thoughts but that’s how my brain is functioning right now. But our supervisor totally looks like Natalie Portman. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it when I first saw her, but there was some familiarity about her and then it hit me. She looks very similar to Natalie Portman. So that’s that.

I can’t believe there are almost two whole hours before we leave, although it is nice that the sun sets really late so you don’t feel like you’ve spent the whole day at work. I’d imagine the feeling to be terrible when you get home from work and the sun’s set and it’s dark out. Man sounds like New England winter. Well perhaps it’s about time to get back to research and actually being productive for the last stretch of my first day here at work. We’ll see what ends up happening tonight. I have to actually try and be social and make friends. Who knew?

No comments: